Open Heritage Day

Guided Tours

A series of murals, which were created in 1957 and 1958 for two Faschingsfeste (Carnival events), have been preserved in the former coal cellars of the Akademie building on Pariser Platz. Painted by Manfred Böttcher, Harald Metzkes, Ernst Schroeder and Horst Zickelbein – former master students at the Deutsche Akademie der Künste – they are the only original remnants in the historic building apart from the exhibition halls. First photographed in 1989, the works have since been published and carefully preserved. And now, after nearly 30 years, they can be seen for the first time. Free and uninhibited scenery populate the walls of the cellar, where the artists were able to experiment with works that could not have otherwise been exhibited.

In the cellar interview films with Jürgen Böttcher | Strawalde, Matthias Flügge, Dieter Goltzsche, Harald Metzkes and Werner Stötzer will be shown, insights into the work of the conservators will be given, sound documents of the former disputes can be heard and guided tours will be offered.

Access to the Picture Cellar is only possible on a guided tour. Please note that the Picture Celler is not accessible for wheelchair users. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Sat., 12 Sep 2020:
Guided tours at 3 pm, 5 pm and 7 pm in German and at 6 pm in English. On the occasion of the “Tag des offenen Denkmals” with a maximum of five visitors per tour.

Bookings:, T +49 (0)30 200 57-1564

Saturday, 12 Sep 2020

Picture Cellar tour

3, 5, 6, 7 pm

In German

6 pm in English

Registration required by 7 Sept at:

Free admission