Open Heritage Day
This year's motto is "Searching for traces – on the road with monument conservation". Since 1907 – with one interruption – the seat of the Akademie der Künste has been at Pariser Platz. Surviving architectural fragments of its predecessor, the Prussian Academy built by Ernst von Ihne, have been integrated into the new building which opened in 2005. The careful handling of these parts of the rooms and roof structures, which are now listed, was the brief given to the building's architect, Günter Behnisch, who would have celebrated his 100th birthday this year.
Carolin Schönemann, Secretary of the Architecture Section of the Akademie der Künste, will guide us through the building on Pariser Platz and provide insights into its history.