Akademie der Künste Library
After 1945, the library of the former Prussian Akademie der Künste comprised nearly 500 volumes. With the acquisition of Heinrich Mann’s literary estate in 1950, the East Berlin Akademie der Künste began the process of expanding its library holdings. In the early 1960s, when the West Berlin Akademie acquired the private library of writer and botanist Reinhold Muschler, it also established a new foundation for its library collection. Today, these bequest libraries still form the core of the modern Akademie der Künste Library with holdings now totalling around 600,000 volumes.
As the Academy’s art and literature archives grew, so too did the library. The personal papers of artists, writers and scholars also often included private libraries, which were then integrated into the Akademie der Künste Library holdings. These additions are also supplemented by contemporary specialist literature or materials acquired from antiquarian booksellers.
The Akademie der Künste Library is a specialist arts library serving the Members of the Akademie der Künste as well as a scholarly and interested audience. Some parts of the library holdings are for reference only.