Our Reading Rooms at Robert-Koch-Platz, Luisenstrasse 60 and the Bertolt Brecht Archive at Chausseestrasse 125 are open again. In order to protect you and all employees as much as possible from infection, we ask you to follow the following behavioural and hygiene measures.
We ask for your understanding for the limited use of the building and the necessary rules of conduct. Changes to the measures are made within the framework of the Berlin state regulations and will be announced on this website.
- Unfortunately, Covid 19 sufferers, contact persons or people with acute respiratory disease are not permitted to enter the buildings.
- When entering the building, the wearing of an FFP2 mask and a 24-hour current negative Corona rapid test are mandatory. Children under the age of six are exempt from this requirement. Persons with complete vaccination protection, whose final vaccination was at least 14 days ago, as well as recovered persons who have demonstrably survived a Corona infection in the last six months and whose negative PCR test was at least 28 days ago thereafter are exempt from the testing requirement.
- Upon entering the areas of the Academy of Arts Archives, hands must be adequately disinfected. Disinfectant dispensers are available for this purpose at the entrances.
- Please keep at least 1.5 to 2 meters distance to other persons and use the elevator only one at a time.
- Please follow the signs on site and the instructions of the staff.
The Main Reading Room at Robert-Koch-Platz is open Monday to Friday from 10 am to 4 pm for an initial 6 persons per day.
Please register by email or telephone. The use of archival materials or books that can only be viewed in the Reading Room is only possible with confirmed reservation. Due to the limited number of places, waiting times may occur, for which we ask for your understanding.
Up to 20 call numbers per day can be ordered via email. Please note that some of our materials are kept in an external storage. For these archival materials, delivery times will be extended. Please enquire about the specific conditions.
The ordered materials will be made available for you directly on the Reading Room tables, which are marked with numbers.
Please bring your own writing utensils. Only pencils are allowed in the Reading Room.
The collection and return of ordered books takes place in the Main Reading Room at Robert-Koch-Platz.
Opening hours of other Reading Rooms, after confirmed reservation:
Study Hall of the Art Collection, Luisenstrasse 60,
Monday to Friday 10 am to 5 pm
Walter Benjamin Archive, Luisenstrasse 60,
Monday to Friday 10 am to 5 pm
Bertolt Brecht Archive, Chausseestrasse 125,
Tuesday to Thursday 9 am to 4 pm, Fridays 9 am to 3 pm
For the use of the Architecture Archives, Pariser Platz 4, please contact the staff at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Archives of the Akademie der Künste and library are open free of charge to the public for scholarly, private, or press research.
The Archives of the Akademie der Künste are held in various locations, each with its own Reading Room. Readers need to complete an order slip to request an item or items from the particular archive or collection. The archival materials can only be viewed in the Reading Room where the archive or collection is held.
To view archival material, you also need to reserve a place in the Reading Room in question, either by telephone or email.
Under certain circumstances, due to statutory requirements or our conservation guidelines, individual holdings or items may not be available temporarily or only at specific times. For inquiries about the availability of our archival materials, contact our Visitor Services in advance.