The Akademie der Künste Library (Academy Library) focuses especially on publications relating to Academy Members and the Archives. The Academy Library acquires and preserves literature largely published since 1900 on subjects relevant to all six Sections: Visual Arts, Architecture, Music, Literature, Performing Arts, and Film and Media Arts. Here, bequest libraries play a very valuable and crucial role.
The Academy Library holdings are supplemented by:
- Valuable first editions
- Literature on Expressionism
- Exile literature from 1933–1945
- Primary and secondary literature by Academy prize winners and master students
- Akademie der Künste publications
- Publications by other cultural institutions
In addition, the library houses important special collections, some very extensive. In early 1999, the Academy Library established the Berlin Calligraphy Collection. Today, the Academy Library holdings total approximately 600,000 media items.